Tuesday, July 21, 2009

And then there were three...

Here's the story of our exciting weekend...

On Thursday night (July 16th) Emily and I decided to go see the new Harry Potter movie since we figured it could be a while before we had a chance to see a movie in the theater again. The movie was okay. Emily had been having some very small Braxton-Hicks type contractions for the past week or two, but during the movie she started to have some that were a little stronger. Not sure what to do about it, we went home and went to bed. Actually, I went to bed and Emily stayed up as the contractions got a little more regular. About 3:00am (July 17, 2009) I woke up and we started timing them. I still wasn't convinced it was anything to get excited about, but Emily decided it would be better to err on the side of caution.
When we got to the hospital they took us in to their observation room and hooked Emily up to to some machines to measure her contractions and the baby's heart rate. She was dilated about 1cm, so they told us they'd be back in an hour to check her again. She continued to have fairly regular contractions, and an hour later she was 2cm. I guess that's still not much, but after another hour she was almost 3cm and they decided that this would be the day.
Emily hooked up to the monitors
The room was pretty nice

Emily read this book about the Bradley method of husband coached child birth and had thought she wanted to try going without an epidural, relying only on the comfort of my presence to get her through the pains of labor. Not surprisingly, after about five hours of contractions that were getting steadily stronger she decided that as stimulating as my company was it was no substitute for that of a CRNA (a nurse anesthetist). The epidural went in and the next couple of hours went by pretty quietly.

Emily hooked up to even more machines

About 1:00pm she was fully dilated and started pushing, and at 1:18pm the Dr. Gilliland welcomed Samuel Roberts Burkinshaw into the world with a suction bulb in the nose. Seemed a little harsh to me, but it was nothing compared to what the nurses did to him after that.

Sam weighed in at 6 lbs 1 oz and was 18 inches long. Not bad for 11 days early!


The proud parents


I've been asking Emily for a couple of weeks now if she was ever going to have this baby, but it seemed to all happen so fast and caught us both a little off gaurd. But we're quickly getting used to it and are very excited to have Sam with us.



Emily's parents, Gerry and Candy, arrived later that day and have enjoyed having some time with their first grandchild. Emily and I have enjoyed having someone around to do the cooking and cleaning.

Sam loves his grandparents


New babies sleep alot...

We heard that to prevent jaundice you should put babies in the sun, so this is Sam sunbathing in front of our storm door.



We've had fun debating which one of us Sam looks like most. Here's some pictures of all of us as babies. We'd be curious to hear any of your opinions.

That's about all the blogging I can handle for now. I'm sure Emily will want to tell her side of the story and share futher updates so check back soon.
Here's Sam signing off.

BAM!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations guys. This is so exciting! Sam looks perfect. Good luck with the next few weeks. We love and miss you guys.

Jane Huddleston said...

Hahaha! That last picture made me snort out my nose. So cute. And so classic. I'm glad I got to hear the story (even though it's just from John's perspective)... Sam is adorable & looks like he fits in perfectly to your little family. I love you guys. Thanks for the update!

Chrissie said...

Cute! Congratulations, you guys! Same is a lucky little guy to have such great parents!

Andrea said...

Congrats on the safe arrive of the new addition to your family, Sam. Emily you look great. I'm so happy for you guys!!!!

Sharon said...

congrat!! what a sweet baby boy!! so happy for you guys....and enjoy the sleeping moments (they don't last for long :)

Molly said...

YAY! We're so excited! I think he has John's nose and Emily's eyes. We can't wait to meet him!

Micah and Alison said...

I agree with the John's nose and Emily's eyes thing...we'll see when he keeps growing though...Yeah and congrats! Sam is adorable! Way to go you 3!

Anonymous said...

Hahaha...Matt told me about that last picture and we both think it's hilarious!! We're so excited for you guys! He's so cute! I think he looks a lot like Emily in her baby picture!..sorry John

Kim said...

Congratulations you guys!
He's adorable!
And sorry John...I think he looks like Emily too!

Pam said...

Congratulations!!!
He is adorable and perfect.
I think he looks most like Emily. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Yay! Congrats to you both!!!

Annie said...

Congratulations! I don't think he looks like either of you... just kidding! A good mix. Love the SAM t-shirt!